Monday 9 December 2013

I is for Invitation

9th December 2013


I is for Invitation




Invitations are always exciting, especially when you are a child. What could be more exciting than an invitation to a Christmas party. A party with magical decorations, a sparkling Christmas tree, a copious table of tasty food and drinks and of course, a visit from Father Christmas, complete with his sack of gifts.

The word invitation, or to invite comes from the Latin word: invitatio (the noun) and invitare, (the verb), which means to entertain or to be pleasant to someone. Which of course is what you ought to be if you have guests.

I never knew that my Latin O level might come in useful writing Christmas blogs, one day.

It took a fair number of invitations addressed to Harry Potter before he finally managed to open his invitation to Hogwarts.



The moment when Uncle Vernon is buried under a mountain of envelopes, reminds me of my daily task of sweeping the leaves outside in my garden. But that is another story and another blog: Limey Limericks.


No comments:

Post a Comment